A SSAS benefits from the usual features of a more traditional pension scheme, such as a tax free lump sum at retirement, no income tax on permitted investments and no capital gains tax on the disposal of investments.
However, it is the increased flexibility of a SSAS that brings major benefits to its members.
One of the main benefits of a SSAS is the control that it permits members over where the scheme’s funds are invested. This flexibility also means that a SSAS can be a great vehicle for business growth, as they can be used to grant a secured loan to the sponsoring company - of up to 50% of the fund value of the SSAS - or to purchase shares in the business.
In addition to the benefits a SSAS shares with other pension schemes, they also have their own benefits, which can be especially useful for business owners. These SSAS benefits include;
- The ability to make a loan back to the sponsoring company, or the option to purchase shares in the sponsoring company. The potential to purchase commercial property and lease back to the business - or any other third party.
- Business owners and their employees can group their pension assets.
- The ability to make third party loans to unconnected businesses.
- They allow investment in non-standard assets.
- They only have one scheme charge - even if there are several members - so they can be cost-effective.
MAVEN Bonds are an IFISA provider specialising in fixed term property bonds.
Against a backdrop of low interest rates and a volatile stock market, the IFISA can provide an attractive investment opportunity for experienced investors.
With the ability to hold peer-to-peer loans and debt-based securities, IFISA investments have the potential to generate higher rates of return than more traditional investment routes for investors with a greater appetite for risk.
To find out more, download our free IFISA guide.